Serverless Web Application with Amazon Cognito and Active Directory
A front-end web application was developed using React JS and hosted on a serverless environment in AWS for CoreLogic, the largest provider of property information, analytics and property-related risk management services in Australia and New Zealand.
AWS, Serverless, Accessibility
CoreLogic is the market leader for capital city Central Business District (CBD) commercial property data in Australia. Their Cityscope subscription product comprises automated data feeds from external and internal data suppliers and manual edits from a research team.
A number of internal systems were built over the years to give employees access this data so they could maintain its accuracy.
Data Army were employed to re-engineer a back-office application dedicated to the access and maintenance of this critical data. A new serverless web application was developed to provide internal employees with web access to their data 24 hours a day. Data Army also integrated Amazon Cognito and Active Directory within the AWS platform to ensure that the transition for internal employees was seamless and original credentials could be maintained.
The team now enjoys the benefits of native elasticity and tracking to ensure the system is always available, and that mistakes or changes can be undone.
PREVIOUS BUSINESS CHALLENGES
- Back-office system was on legacy technology – sporadic backups and little roll-back capability added risk to the solution
- Users were limited to how many could use the system at one time, and each had to be logged on to the corporate network to gain access
- Little ability to change or improve functionality due to risk of system failure
- Little logging, auditing and user tracking of changes available
- System was limited in its data validation checking, which meant additional manual review was required prior to a release to the customer-facing product
“I would have no hesitation in recommending the Data Army team. Their level of professionalism is extremely high and their ability to deal in the technical while communicating with the not-so-technical stakeholders, makes working with them a smooth experience. I would have no hesitation in engaging Data Army again. In fact I look forward to when that time comes.”
—Brett Scott, CoreLogic Australia
A front-end web application was developed using React JS and hosted on a serverless environment in AWS with the following benefits:
- Solution elastically scales to manage varying levels of access and data changes, as well as the number of concurrent users
- User access the solution from anywhere in the world, on any device using a web browser and their Active Directory credentials
- Full traceability of all user activity logged for auditing and rollback
- Front end application allows for native, built-in validation of data, negating further manual checks and balances
- AWS CloudFront ensures that the application data is cached close in proximity to the user to prevent any delays or application downtime
- Risk of system failure and data loss eliminated as solution is continually backed up
- Removal of back-end servers, reduction in manual data checks and removal of risk of system failure all reduce bottom line expenses
THE DATA ARMY SOLUTION
Users originally accessed and updated the data via an MS Access form, logging into the corporate network using their Active Directory credentials. A new frontend web application was developed using React JS and hosted as a static website in S3. AWS CloudFront and Route 53 were used to host and route traffic, ensuring that the application and latest data was readily available through edge location caching.
AWS Cognito and Active Directory were utilised to seamlessly transition employee credentials to the cloud for online access to the new environment. API Gateway coupled with Lambda completed the serverless portion of the solution, directing data updates to and from the back-end RDS server hosting a PostgreSQL database.
The AWS services utilised within this solution were: Amazon S3 / Amazon CloudFront / Amazon Route53 / Amazon API Gateway / AWS Lambda / Amazon Cognito / Amazon Active Directory / Amazon RDS.
Visit the CoreLogic website to understand what they do: corelogic.com.au